Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mom tip #2: "Mom, the baby is on the treadmill, AGAIN!" or: Encouraging Your Young Tattletale

So we all probably remember the "no tattling" rule from childhood. And we all knew (or maybe were) that annoying kid that was always trying to rat others out, just to get them in trouble. However, allowing a certain amount of tattling in you home can have enormously positive impact on your sanity.

My mom used to say that she had eyes in the back of her head. Meaning that she knew when we were misbehaving, even when her back was turned. I was not born with this gift. Therefore, I often rely on my 5 year-old to be those eyes.

It's not that I put him in charge of his younger sisters. I just encourage him to tell me when they are misbehaving. And he gets it. There is no malicious intent to his tattling. Just a strong desire to see everyone obeying the rules, staying safe and not destroying my house.

So the next time I hear my son say, "She is writing on the walls, again!" I'll be saying, "Thanks for telling me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

About me

My goal is to share what I've lived and learned as a mom of 3.

Followers