Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What's for Dinner Tonight... A.K.A: What My Kids Will Eat: Chicken and Peppers

Yes, you can probably argue that this isn't my kid's favorite dish. Except for the baby of course, who will eat ANYTHING. But the adults in my house are pretty fond of it.

More importantly, memories of this dish make me smile. See, this is one of the few dishes that I make that my parents' made when I was a kid. It's also the first "real" meal I learned to make when I was cooking for myself in college.

Yes, I used to cook this in my first incredibly crappy apartment kitchen. That is how ridiculously easy it is to make.

Chicken and Peppers

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; cut into 1 inch pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon basil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 15oz can chopped tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
cooked rice

Prep:
Preheat oven to 350.

1. Place olive oil, chicken, peppers, basil, salt and pepper in a casserole dish. Stir. Cover and bake 30 mins.

2. Add tomatoes. Re-cover, bake 30 mins.

3. Serve over rice.

The salt can definitely be reduced, depending on your family's tastes. Unfortunately, we like our salt around here.

The way my kiddos will eat it? All signs of tomatoes and peppers must be removed, then the chicken and rice are served separately. Add a side of raw carrots with peanut butter for dipping. It's probably my own fault for catering to pickiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About me

My goal is to share what I've lived and learned as a mom of 3.

Followers