Thursday, May 20, 2010

Mom Tip #3: Just Realized My Kids are 5 and 3... Not 15 and 13

Here are some of my frequent daily thoughts:

"I am busy right now, can't you see that? No, I can't get you milk right now, do you see that I am changing a diaper? I know you are hungry, but I am MAKING DINNER... I can't make it cook any faster! I can't help everyone at the same time... YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT!"

Ok, so most of the time I don't keep these thoughts in my head.

The worst part is that I see my kids getting negative attitudes more and more and I am starting to realize that my attitude might be the problem. Maybe part of it is a natural lack of patience, but there is more to it than that. So why am I always frustrated with them? Basically I have realized this:

I treat my 3 and 5 year-olds like adults. And when they don't behave like adults, I get frustrated. And not very nice.

So how do I change my tendency to get frustrated when they are just behaving like normal kids? My new plan is to encourage my kids to behave maturely and care for their own needs, not immediately get snippy when they need my help. And who knows... sometimes they might just surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About me

My goal is to share what I've lived and learned as a mom of 3.

Followers