Monday, May 10, 2010

Tip #1: Meal Planning If You Don't Have a Grocery Store in Your Front Yard

We used to have the luxury of living across the street (literally) from my favorite grocery store. I'd stop by a few times a week after work or in the mornings, just roaming around and deciding what I needed on the spot for a few dinners.

Then we moved. At first is was a bit of a shock. You mean I have to drive 15 minutes to find a grocery store!? How does anyone live like this!? Then I realized that this is how EVERYONE else lives.

For us, it became practical to only grocery shop once a week. And that meant a lot of planning. I would sit down the night before with my cookbooks, recipes and the internet trying to come up with a week's worth of meals. Cooking is a chore to me, not a pleasure, and therefore this planning was an arduous task.

Then I devised a system. Let's call it a "rotating meal schedule," for lack of any other name. Here is how I did it:
  • I sat down once again with my cookbooks, recipes and the internet. But this time I made a list of any and every meal that my family would possibly eat. I came up with 35 meals. Enough for 5 weeks.
  • I sorted the meals into categories (chicken, beef, pork, meatless...). Then I made a list for each week by plugging in a few meals from each category.
  • Now I have a master list of meals hanging on my fridge to refer to each week. Once I get to the end of the 5 weeks it just starts over.
To save even more time in the store, I write down the ingredients in the order of the store isles. Maybe this all sounds ridiculously organized. But it helps me maintain some of my sanity.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so you have a master list on your fridge.. and you cook from that? how do you know what you cooked/used? do you keep inventory? or do you also have a "weekly" menu hanging up? I really want to do this, but i need like, specific details. SPE-CI-FIC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess I should have added this. I have the master list hanging up, which is 5 weeks worth of meals. I consult this each week to make my grocery list. So this might be week 1, then next week would be week 2. Then each week while I am making the grocery list, I re-write the menu for that week by day, and hang that on the fridge, too. So my master list might just say: week 1: Burgers, baked ziti, chicken fingers, pork chops, ect. Then the additional list for that week might say: Monday: Burgers, Tuesday: baked ziti, Wensday: chicken fingers, etc. That way each night all I have to do is look at the second list and I know what's for dinner. You could also write it on a calender- just go off the master list and write what you are having each day. Hope this is more clear!

    ReplyDelete

About me

My goal is to share what I've lived and learned as a mom of 3.

Followers